Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Councillor Heather King & Scott Broderick are volunteers: Day 98

Background Confession:
I am really cheap with my votes.
I believe every vote counts and I want mine to count.

The Birth of the Candidate Volunteer Series:
I wanted to know how much bang I was going to get for each vote, so I decided to offer  each candidate blog space to show us his/her passion for Delta.
  
I figured that if the candidates were so darn concerned about Delta, then they would have a long list of volunteer work that clearly demonstrates their passion for Delta.

Past performance (extensive volunteer work) demonstrates future commitment to Delta.
   AN OPEN INVITATION TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Send your volunteer list showing how you've given back to Delta and I'll feature you in the blog. 
Bonus: I will add you to my Heroes List (NOTE: a volunteer is a hero)


A quick review of the first three candidates!

 
Part ONE featured Mayoral Candidate, Councillor Heather King


(Photo pinched from Heather Kings Facebook page)
 




Part TWO featured Council Candidate, Neil Corbett


 (Surprise, surprise, I pinched this photo from Neil's Facebook page)








Part THREE featured Council Candidate, Andrew Conley

(Photo pinched from
Andrew's Facebook page)




Part FOUR of the Candidate Volunteer Series featured School Board Trustee Candidate, Carroll (Lefebvre) Allan

    Go to Councillor Heather King & Carroll Allan are volunteers: Day 94

    (Photo pinched from @CarrollAllan - Twitter)

    Follow Carroll on twitter (@carrollalla), Facebook
                                or her  blog!



    On with the show, this is it!
    Let's meet The STAR of this blog!

    Part FIVE of the Candidate Volunteer Series:
    Council Candidate, Scott Broderick
    I have not met Scott. I was hoping to meet him at his fundraiser, but I will not be able to attend. Here are the details, in case you can join him!
    Friday, October 7th, 2011.
    6:30 pm.
    Dinner with Scott that includes burgers, fries and your choice of beverage. 
    Tickets are $25. 
    Silent auction.To reserve your tickets call 778-438-2195 or email scottbroderick@scottbroderick.ca
    Follow Scott on Twitter @Scott_Broderick, or Facebook or his website 

    Scott Broderick’s Volunteer List
    I asked Scott to send me his list, and he did! Thanks Scott! I just copied and pasted. 
    "Youth Pastor – This was a great fit for me as I was able to pass along my experiences with youth in a manner that was educational but more importantly to offer guidance to those that were experiencing tough times. Being able to share the challenges that I faced growing up with today’s youth allowed them to know that they aren’t alone as we most often feel when we hit speed bumps in life. It also allowed youth to learn from those that have experienced the same challenges which allowed them to better handle theirs. I’d have to say it was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had.

    Seniors – This was another rewarding experience for me volunteering my time on Sundays at a local retirement home to fill in for their pastor when needed. I remember when I first accepted to fill in for their pastor and I didn’t know what I could do for them or what I could bring to the table that would be meaningful to them. But I learned very quickly that even though an age gap may give the appearance of having nothing in common it was quite the opposite. I found that my own life experiences where not different from theirs, the present day challenges I faced were similar to theirs and that the wants and needs were very common. I really want to bring what I’ve learned to council to help our local community to provide for those that really have paved the way for the generations to follow.

    Theatre – I first acquired the acting bug when I was 12 years old and since then I have volunteered many hours to various theatre groups. I’ve volunteered my time a youth program coordinator which allowed me to continue the great work of those that mentored me as a youth. I lost track a few years ago on just how many productions I’ve been a part of but one thing is for sure, it’s been a lot. I’ve done everything you could imagine right from acting to technical and even directing. Theatre has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember and I want to bring that same passion to council to better not just the lives of those in arts but to all Delta residents.

    I’ve also volunteered my time raising funds for cancer research, raising awareness and supporting an increase to EI sickness benefits for those battling serious illness and I’ve volunteered my time with the Fight HST campaign.

    All these experiences have been rewarding and I would recommend to everyone to volunteer for something you believe in. We sometimes think we don’t have time but even an hour a week can make all the difference in the world to help better the lives of those around you."
    Scott thanks for making it easy for me to copy and paste your extensive volunteer list! I truly believe volunteers are heroes and you're number 6 on my list!

    Happy Campaigning and yes, I will be honoured to be your Facebook friend!

    Barb's Heroes List:
    1. Councillor Heather King, Mayor Candidate
    2. Neil Corbett , Council Candidate,
    3. Francis Van Roode, VP Sunfish
    4. Philip Raphael, Editor South Delta Leader & Pop Quiz #2 winner!
    5.  Andrew Conley, Council Candidate
    6. Scott Broderick, Council Candidate & Pop Quiz #1: 1st place winner! 
    7. Cathie Goodman, Pop Quiz #1: 2nd place winner & SD Leader winner!
    8. Ladners Landing,  Pop Quiz #1: 3rd place winner
    9. Carroll Allan, School Board Trustee Candidate 
    10. Councillor Robert Campbell (pending)
    If you have a concern, contact Heather King.  Her information is at the top of the page. She WANTS to talk to you.
                                                                                                                    
    Tell the KING!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment