Thursday, July 07, 2011

Heather King on Delta Tourism: Day 8

Wednesday, July 6, 2011: Woke up a little smug with my new coffee gig: King will buy the coffee, it says so on her website.  I checked the local papers on-line in hopes of some election fireworks. South Delta Leader’s article “Metro politicians quietly take formula-driven pay raise” states that civic politicians who sit on Metro Vancouver's board or one of its committees get paid $330 per meeting -  in addition to their regular municipal salary. In 2010 Jackson, as Metro Chair earned $65,939 + $2,034 expenses + her $100,000 salary from Delta.  WHOA!  That put me in my place. Silly me feeling smug, ‘cause I have a new gig for free coffee; meanwhile Jackson has the whole darn plantation wrapped up with expenses. Boy she is good!   

Deflated, I flipped over to the Delta Optimist’s site and read Tsawwassen's 'hidden jewel' gets polishing”. The article is about the planned improvements for Centennial Beach, as I live in Boundary Bay, I was intrigued. The article was good and I totally love the improvements that are coming. Jackson wants to attract more visitors to Centennial Beach. “She said that the word has to somehow get out even more about the beach…” Frankly for $166,000 and change, I wanted more of a strategic-vision, a solid plan and, OK, maybe a free hotdog. Unfortunately, it felt more like Kevin Costner talking in the movie Field of Dreams, “Build it and they will come.” 

I defaulted and asked Heather what she thought. She pondered and then told me a story about when she was on the Tourism Committee and travelled around Delta with two gals from Tourism BC and one from the Chamber.  They explored tourism in Delta and looked at ways of promoting it. For months afterwards, Heather continued her research by engaging in conversations with locals, Metro Parks, and business owners.  I could hear her passion as she talked of opportunities, tourism, advertising and then painted a big, vibrant, picture of Centennial Beach and Delta. She presented real solutions, viable plans, and details to insure that Delta and Centennial Beach become tourist destinations. Impressive answer especially because she didn’t even know there was going to be a pop quiz before the recess bell.
 
Links to articles:
South Delta Leader,  “Metro politicians quietly take formula-driven pay raise” http://bit.ly/pyVAZz
Delta Optimist, Tsawwassen's 'hidden jewel' gets polishing   http://bit.ly/pudXvA

No comments:

Post a Comment