Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Heather King's day: Day 14: A quick few hours in the life of Heather KingDay 14 – stalked by me, Delta’s Pavarazzi

I know it’s not all about me, but today was a particularly exciting day for me. Two very unusual things happened.
                                              Francis van Roode and Heather King

First: I briefly met Francis van Roode, Vice President of the North Delta Sunfish Swimming and Water Polo Club. He had an early morning meeting with Heather and he totally shocked me when he asked if I was Barb_2U. I was totally jealous when he showed us my blog on his totally funky iPad, sigh, I want one! Wow, he not only knows about the blog, but he reads it too! It gets better – I became completely smitten when, my new best friend, Francis indulged me by letting me snap a photo. OK, I snapped 12, but I was having fun and I am not the one running for Mayor. Thanks for being such a good sport Francis!      

Second: After snapping the 12 photos, I went outside and a die-hard support of Heather’s phoned me. I told her about my ex-wonderful Nikon that had one too many drops on the tile floor in Belize. She told me to drop over today and she would fix my camera problems. Imagine my surprise when she gave me a brand new Lumix FZ40 Camera! Boy, Mom was wrong, whining does pay! I protested, albeit rather quietly, but she reminded me that we want Heather to be Mayor and that I’ll need a good camera to keep up with her! I am still smiling. I don't know how to work my new camera, but I am still smiling.

Oh, now back to Heather.After the meeting with Francis, Heather buzzed off to the press announcement at the Burr’s farm on 64th Street in East Ladner. I tagged along with my old Nikon in tow.

The mountains and potato field created a perfect setting for Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and British Columbia Minister Don McRae to make their announcement in support of BC's agriculture industry.  

Note the field in the background: This exact field, like many fields in Delta and BC, was completely submerged at harvest time 2010 rendering the entire crop salvageable.




Left to right: Jack Bates, President Canadian Horticultural Council; Honourable Gerry Ritz, MP Kerry-Lynn Findlay, Honourable Don McRae,

Through the lens of my camera, I watched as Heather moved from farmer, to dignitary, to reporters with ease.  She greeted a number of the local farmers by name. She specifically wanted to know how the farmers felt about the announcement. She also took the opportunity to talk to them and find out their issues.  I was impressed as Heather gathered business cards and recorded their concerns with her record app on her iPhone (Oh no, I am getting techy envy again).



Sharing a joke with John Savage, Honourable Don McRae



(top right) Honorable Don McRae, Heather King, John Savage







Chatting pre-announcement, Heather and Peter Guichon, owner of Felix Farms, the largest aggregate potato farm in BC, based in Ladner but with land holdings in several locations including Abbotsford. Peter is also the vice-Chair of the BC Vegetable Marketing Commission.
Heather is listening as Honourable Don McRae and farmers discuss agricultural issues




Heather wasn't clear on a few issues so she talked to the farmers privately after the discussion with Honourable Don McRae


left to righ:  Bill Shoker, Field Manager, Shoker Farms, Opinder Bhatti, Gurdeep Kara, Kara farms;  Heather King; (Back) Henry Wiens, manager of the Fraser Valley Cole Crop Growers Association; Far right: Jim Shiell, Market Information & Analysis, BC Vegetable Marketing Commission

Learn something every day, cole crops are broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower.




                                            Just by listenting, she made some new friends 
The farmers appreciated Heather's concern and the fact that she wanted to listen. They exchanged information and agreed to meet later.

Left to right: Jim Shiell, Heather King, Bill Shoker, Opinder Bhatti, Gurdeep Kara, Henry Wiens


                                       More friends (dare I say old friends?)

(Left to right) MP Kerry-Lynne Findlay,  Heather King, Val Roddick

Kerry-Lynne just arrived back from Taiwan. She told Heather and Val a humourous story from her travels - she gave political advice to the President of Taiwan. Val and Heather agreed that it was very good advice! Bravo Kerry-Lynne. Delta gals rock!

1 comment:

  1. This is terrific, Barb... I love it! Great pics! And fantastic about the camera too - you jammy devil you! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete