Friday, July 08, 2011

Heather King's first campaign meeting of 2011: Day 10:

Friday, July 8, 2011: Gracious as always, the KING and “the husband of” served a great feast. But before I tell you about the party, I have to tell you that I was told, “Although A-maze-ing Laughter is a delightful grouping, the price tag of 5 million is high for Delta’s Art budget.” Sigh, how disappointing. Not to be defeated so easily, I’ll ask this of my followers of 3 (yes, I know it says 4, but one is me and for the life of me, I can’t delete me), if you know of someone who has an extra 5 million to donated, ask them to contact me—I have the perfect spot picked out at Centennial Beach for A-maz-ing-Laughter!

OK, let’s talk about the party, ‘er meeting! 
I met my new best friends: some new faces and a number of faces that I have worked with before. Heather runs a high energy, fun campaign, so her volunteers tend to keep coming back and helping out. It’s my third Heather campaign, so I’m kind of small-time campaign groupie.

There were interesting people at the meeting and apparently we all have specialties and titles. By far the most striking difference in this campaign is not the new faces; it’s the titles. Specifically, this time we have a designated fundraiser. Buckle up and hang on, this is going to be a race like we have never had before.

Heather very eloquently laid out her political career and why she wanted to run. Let me summarize: she is smart, educated, well spoken, experienced, and passionate about Delta, and the people who live here. She loves to serve, get things done, and make a difference. She has a vision for city hall, she is all about engagement and being accessible and her leadership is community focused – her leadership style is called Servant Leadership – I think that means her ego doesn’t get in the way of listening and empowering other to use their talents to serve Delta.  There I just saved you 10 minutes (maybe 15, after all she is a politician)! 

Now for the campaign juicy bits:
Mr. Heather King aka “the husband of” is a smart guy, after all he asked Heather to marry him! He is going to be our campaign manager. Trust me this is not a mom and pop operation, they are an extremely well matched couple – both are brilliant and committed to Heather becoming our next mayor of Delta.  He is a business consultant and a detailed strategic thinker, with a dynamite sense of humour.   Although he is much older than I am, we graduated together from South Delta Secondary School.

We had to come up with a name for our committee. Who knew that there are criteria for picking a name? So in order to meet all the criteria the name of our committee – that would translate to the name on the bank account – is “2011 Committee to Elect Heather King for Mayor”. Not a title that brings tears to your eyes, but it does the trick.

And finally, the Kings laid out the election strategy for the team.  The essence of this well laid out strategy is to win: to get Heather elected as Mayor of Delta. (I just saved you another 10 minutes!)

As exciting as the election is, it isn’t the headlines for the weekend; Tour de Delta is the event of the weekend. It’s amazing and an extremely addictive spectator sport. Enjoy. I’ll be cheering behind the hay stacks.

WWW.tourdedelta.com

No comments:

Post a Comment