Monday, July 11, 2011

Heather King is worthy of my support: Day 13: Why I support Heather King for Mayor

The quick answer: I support Heather because of her integrity and her values.

The long answer: she is fair, she does not jump to conclusions nor make hasty decisions.  I trust her to do her homework, remain open-minded until she has listened to all sides, read all the material, ask questions to clarify, and then make an educated, informed decision.  Her ego does not get in the way of making sound decisions: she is not afraid to admit if she doesn’t know or understand something. As a matter of fact, she is extremely hard-working and often goes above and beyond the call of duty to fully understand situations – for example, she often goes to the location and talks to the people involved in the issue.   

 

She takes her civic responsibilities very seriously: she is accountable, reads all the information prior to meetings, and comes to every meeting thoroughly prepared. True to her character, she is 100% dedicated and has served full-time for every elected position that she has held.


She is diplomatic and honest, and most important, she is kind and compassionate. She is very engaging, accepting, and enjoys talking to people from all walks of life.  Eleven years ago, we became friends because of our mutual concern for youth and the future of our children, schools, and neighbourhoods.  Today, she is also very compassionate for our seniors and expresses that we need to be smarter about meeting their needs – “we need a future forward vision for our seniors and children”.


Her leadership skills are honed and well-developed. She leads by example and listens to everyone’s opinion. We have had many discussions around her running for Mayor with a team. She has been true to herself and her values; she wants to run as an independent, because she wants to change how things are done at City Hall. At her council table, there will be no teams, because they will be one team. There will be no alliances or bullies: she is inclusive and everyone at her council table will be equal, respected, and encouraged to voice their opinion. After all, everyone at her table represents the voice of Delta.


What else could we ask for in a Mayor of Delta?
Juicy bit – about an hour ago, Heather sent me an email asking if I could come with her tomorrow – there is going to be an announcement and I might want to bring my camera. I cannot stand the suspense. I bet she’ll buy me a cup of coffee, if I go.  I’ll be sure to post the photos as soon as I can.
Follow her on twitter, (@HKingCouncillor) maybe she will tweet something during the announcement. You can follow me, too, (@Barb_2U) but I won’t be tweeting during the meeting – I am not that cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment