Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Heather King on leadership, respect, trust, and team work: Day 22



I was considering the word "Leadership" and what it means to various politicians, so I emailed Heather, the most easily accessible politician that I know, and asked, “What does leadership mean to you and how will your leadership be any different for Delta?”

Wow, smoke must have come out of her computer and ears, because lickety-split, bing-bing, here is her reply! KING is in purple.
I came across this article from the Toronto Star on June 1st, it resonated with me, so I cut out and put in my wallet.  http://bit.ly/qXMXmn 
When I consider Leaders to be "great" it is usually, because of their knowledge of issues, the people affected by these issues, and the people on their leadership team.

Team captains, know when some players need to be motivated, encouraged or to feel supported.  Leaders - great leaders know these things, also.  In essence, they know how to pass the puck.  Steve Nash has a theory called "pass twice, score once".

But when we get into politics, what happens to that sense of team?

Ed Lumley had a remarkable career as an MP.  Now, at 71 he looks back on his first day in the House of Commons, when Prime Minister John Diefenbaker, crossed the floor to offer Ed some words of gentle advice.  Ed has never forgotten that.  In the article, you will see the advice, but essentially it is to show respect.

In a recent address to 500 senior politicians, Ed Lumley pleaded for a restoration of civility. ‘"Cynicism is everywhere.  Inflammatory rhetoric and partisan fighting is poisoning our political landscape" and destroying public confidence in Parliament, he said.”

One quote in particular that I like from this article is the following: "Everything constructive begins with respect and trust - for yourself, your loved ones, your colleagues, yes, even your adversaries.  And we must never forget that respect is earned not given."  And so, if I may add, is trust.  Public trust in government is at an all-time low and squabbling amongst politicians does little to restore it.

This quote and the one that follows are two of the reasons why I keep this article in my wallet.   

Lumley concluded his speech by saying, “Maybe we can learn from the most successful athletic teams in history where the pursuit of individual excellence did not override the goal of team success.”

Barb2U here---Wow, glad I asked! Heather, Thanks for sharing.  For what it’s worth, my favourite quote is, “Politics has always been a Blood sport marked by bitter attacks…” Humm, - interesting choice of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment